:: Health Conditions - Depression
- Lexapro Escitalopram
Lexapro® is the brand name of a drug Escitalopram.
Escitalopram (Lexapro) is in a class of drugs called selective
serotonin reuptake inhibitors. Escitalopram affects chemicals
in the brain that may become unbalanced and cause depression.
Generic Lexapro, Escitalopram is used in the treatment of
depression and generalized anxiety disorder (GAD).
What happens if I miss a dose?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. However, if
it is almost time for the next regularly scheduled dose, skip
the missed dose and take the next one as directed. Do not
take a double dose of this medication unless otherwise directed
by your doctor.
What happens if I overdose?
Seek emergency medical attention if an overdose is suspected.
Symptoms of a escitalopram overdose include nausea, vomiting,
tremor, drowsiness, dizziness, sweating, and a fast heartbeat.
What are the possible side effects
If you experience any of the following serious side effects,
stop taking escitalopram and call your doctor immediately
or seek emergency medical treatment:
- an allergic reaction (difficulty breathing; closing of
the throat; swelling of the lips, tongue, or face; or hives);
- an irregular heartbeat or pulse;
- low blood pressure (dizziness, weakness);
- high blood pressure (severe headache, blurred vision);
- chills or fever.
If you experience any of the following less serious side
effects, continue taking escitalopram and talk to your doctor:
- headache, tremor, nervousness, or anxiety;
- nausea, diarrhea, dry mouth, or changes in appetite or
- sleepiness or insomnia; or
- decreased sex drive, impotence, or difficulty having an
Side effects other than those listed here may also occur.
Talk to your doctor about any side effect that seems unusual
or that is especially bothersome.